develooper Front page | perl.xs | Postings from December 2013

Re: Perl XS Beginners

From:
Mike Flannigan
Date:
December 13, 2013 19:30
Re: Perl XS Beginners
Message ID:
52AB61E5.1080702@att.net

I for one had to look up what XS is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XS_%28Perl%29

It is a an interface through which a program written
in the Perl <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl> programming language
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language> can call a C
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_%28programming_language%29> or C++
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B>
language subroutine <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subroutine>.

I don't know enough about C or C++ to answer why a
'system' command or 'exec' command wouldn't do the
same thing.

Mike