develooper Front page | perl.vmsperl | Postings from March 2006

Re: PATCH: 2 vms specific build files in perl @ 27383

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
March 6, 2006 20:58
Re: PATCH: 2 vms specific build files in perl @ 27383
Message ID:
p0623091ac032c02bdda7@[172.16.52.1]
At 1:14 PM -0500 3/6/06, Peter Prymmer wrote:
>"John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw@qsl.net> wrote on 03/06/2006 09:57:57 AM:
>
>> Craig Berry did the calculations and determined that /symbol was not
>> needed, and so the patch was left in.
>
>Thanks for posting the summary.  I appreciate that maintainability
>was of concern.  In fact it appears that going from 5.005_02 to 5.8.7
>we have lost many characters:
>
>$ perl "-MConfig" -e "print $],' ',length($Config{'sig_name_init'})"
>5.00502 272
>$ perl_setup 587
>Testing version 5.8.7  of Perl
>%DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of PERLSHR has been superseded
>$ perl "-MConfig" -e "print $],' ',length($Config{'sig_name_init'})"
>5.008007 126
>
>That should easily be writable on VMS V 5.5-2 I'd think.

In the penultimate version of configure.com, we were getting 416
bytes before symbol substitution, which is what matters.  Sorry not
to have cc'd vmsperl on my prior mention of this; the post is here:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/110362

The basic reason for keeping things simple is that there is now
motivation to have the DCL parseable by Porting/checkcfgvar.pl.  That
way it is much easier for pumpkings and other maintainers to see what
Config symbols might be missing without needing to run configure.com
and manually root through the output.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry@mac.com

 difficult than getting in."