develooper Front page | perl.vmsperl | Postings from March 2006

Re: PATCH: 2 vms specific build files in perl @ 27383

From:
John E. Malmberg
Date:
March 6, 2006 06:58
Re: PATCH: 2 vms specific build files in perl @ 27383
Message ID:
440C4DF5.50801@qsl.net
Peter Prymmer wrote:
> "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry@mac.com> wrote on 03/05/2006 10:46:17 PM:
>

>>At 8:30 PM -0500 3/5/06, Peter Prymmer wrote:
>>
>>>and changed the output of the sig_name_init back to the write/symbol
>>>so as to avoid possible very long symbol output problems that are
>>>germane to DCL
>>
>>Except for this, which I leave as is for reasons stated here recently.
>
> I am sorry I missed the discussion.  In looking at the archive
> the last time I found sig_name_init mentioned was back in

> and it appears to have been wc without the write/symbol in August as in:

> It could be that a spam filter blocked the message from the list
> getting to me (or perhaps the discussion took place only on p5p?).
> I'd appreciate hearing why the change was made, thanks.

It appears that the discussion took place on p5p mainly.

The summary for the vmsperl list:

Abe Timmerman put in a patch to configure.com to bring it into sync.
with the current configure, which including removing the /symbol.

I flagged that change for discussion because it might have impact on
different versions of OpenVMS than the one that was tested, but I did
not do the research to verify if /symbol was really needed.  I made the
assumption that it would only have been added if some case required it.

Craig Berry did the calculations and determined that /symbol was not
needed, and so the patch was left in.

-John
wb8tyw@qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only