develooper Front page | perl.unicode | Postings from July 2011

Encode question

From:
Dave Saunders
Date:
July 7, 2011 00:31
Subject:
Encode question
Message ID:
Pine.A41.4.63.1107070300540.1458198@blue2.itc.virginia.edu
Dear Encode Developers,

   I am migrating a perl application from Solaris 2.10 to Linux Fedora Core
14 (2.6.35.13-92.fc14.x86_64), which is running perl 5.12.3.  The app uses
SDBM and I'm encountering a problem which looks related to the
Encode module (which is at 2.39).

The error message is:

panic: sv_setpvn called with negative strlen at p.pl line 21.

and this URL led me to Encode:

I ran the simple test at the bottom of the web page:

binmode STDOUT, ':encoding(cp1250)';
print( ( "a" x 1023 ) . "\x{0378}" );

and got the same output:

"\x{0340}" does not map to cp1250 at a.pl line 2.
panic: sv_setpvn called with negative strlen at a.pl line 2.

I looked at CPAN:
http://search.cpan.org/~dankogai/Encode-2.43/

and read the Changes file, but don't see Bug 65541 discussed.

Has this problem been solved, or is it being worked on?
Is there a work-around for SDBM files (other than not using SDBM)?

Thanks very much for your help,
David Saunders
ITS/UVa