develooper Front page | perl.tcltk | Postings from February 2019

Buttons with icons but without boxes on macOS and Tcl::pTk

From:
welle Ozean via tcltk
Date:
February 27, 2019 08:59
Subject:
Buttons with icons but without boxes on macOS and Tcl::pTk
Message ID:
CAL0NCLtQEF4PDuMbA+9Ltij+CRnSHWqfRSpXYmQtTLa8XDtwvg@mail.gmail.com
Hello,

using Tcl::pTk I want to move from the ttkButton to a plain clickable (png)
icon on gray background. I do not want the icon in a box, which is the
standard rendering of buttons, as far as I understand. This looks very odd
nowadays. At best, the icon should be accompanied by a test, as this
screenshot shows: https://ibb.co/dfYwKvM

On a mailing list I get the following Tcl/Tk answers:

1) If you add -style Toolbutton to the ttk::button, the button will look
flat and modern. Adding "-compound top" will allow to specify both image
and text.

2)  set i1 [image create photo -file icon.png]
     button .b -image $i1 -text Open -compound top -relief flat
     pack .b
    Note that colors for the button widget and/or colors/transparency in
    the png image will need to be adjusted so the icon and the button area
    fit together seamlessly.

No matter how many combinations I tried, I could not achieve my result (I
always had boxes around the icons, so that I think that Tcl::pTk does not
support much tweaking of the buttons. Has I guess this is the simplest way
to display icons on modern interfaces, maybe somebody here has already
achieved this result.

Welle