develooper Front page | perl.tcltk | Postings from February 2019

Re: merging Tcl::Tk and Tcl::pTk

From:
Christopher Chavez
Date:
February 2, 2019 07:03
Re: merging Tcl::Tk and Tcl::pTk
Message ID:
AD604F97-7649-421F-9A89-83B8849C04AC@gmx.us

> On Nov 10, 2018, at 6:05 AM, Konovalov, Vadim <Vadim.Konovalov@dell.com> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> Al long as full compatibility between Tcl::pTk and perl/Tk haven’t happened, I propose to spend some efforts on joining Tcl::Tk and Tck::pTk so to have some reasonable compatibility and single module so to not spread efforts among these?
>
> Regards,
> Vadim

Hi Vadim,

I have had similar thoughts on wanting to somehow merge Tcl::pTk and Tcl::Tk, as that would eliminate the recurring situation where improvements made in one have to be manually copied into the other, or a bug already fixed in one gets reported for the other. (Similar situations occur where Tcl::pTk copies code from Perl/Tk, but the original code has since had incompatible improvements made. I would like to track down any code copied from Perl/Tk and at least put comments saying where and which versions it was copied from.) I understand it was probably easiest for previous Tcl::pTk authors to accomplish what they needed by simply “forking” Tcl::Tk, but I don’t think it has proven ideal for long-term maintenance.

However I doubt I am aware of what would be the best way to combine these. I still consider myself a beginner to Perl and Tcl, and (re-)architecting Perl modules is not something I'm familiar with. I’m also not inclined to simply discontinue Tcl::pTk in favor of the current Tcl::Tk, as Tcl::pTk is what I and others have used to run existing Perl/Tk programs with little effort.

So as an example, I imagine one approach is to have any functionality currently implemented by both modules only be implemented in Tcl::Tk, and then Tcl::pTk will depend on Tcl::Tk. Tcl::pTk then only implements the more "corner-case” scenarios for improving Perl/Tk compatibility. But I do not know if this is possible nor if it is the best approach.

I wish to discuss this more in the future to get an idea of what options there are. I mainly wanted to post this a test—I finally got in touch with webmaster at perl dot org to ask about the mailing list blocking my emails. They’ve unblocked GMX, but there’s the possibility it will be blocked again in the future if spam is detected again…

Christopher A. Chavez