develooper Front page | perl.tcltk | Postings from July 2018

File permissions, shebangs in repos/distfiles

From:
Christopher Chavez
Date:
July 18, 2018 06:01
Subject:
File permissions, shebangs in repos/distfiles
Message ID:
7036E928-6EC6-4B10-A3BF-41CCF8A0EFDB@gmx.us
Tcl.pm and Tcl::Tk have various files with “incorrect” permissions, specifically files that should or should not be marked as executable. Files like .pl or .t I would think should be executable, while .pm, .xs, or image formats should not.

There’s also files with shebangs like “#!perl -w”, which at a minimum should have the -w flag replaced by `use warnings;`. At least one file (perl-tcl-tk/test-for-tk.tcl) is executable but is missing a shebang. However, I’m not familiar with what an appropriate shebang for CPAN dist scripts should be; supposedly there’s problems with (or enough people dislike) putting e.g. `#!/usr/bin/env perl`.

I can send a PR with “fixed” permissions, but I’m not aware of a way to enforce that they don’t change. The shebangs I would need more advice on.