develooper Front page | perl.rtos | Postings from January 2000

perl running on different shells & restricted shells;

From:
Webman9933
Date:
January 1, 2000 20:05
Subject:
perl running on different shells & restricted shells;
Message ID:
0.8b68afe2.25a0285a@aol.com
I run a network of UNIX servers on the Internet, we are primarily a web
hosting service.  In order to help tighten up security on or networks we are
looking into setting up restricted shells for users.  This way we can supply
each hosting account with their own bin with their own utilities and
restricted unix commands available to that account.  We are currently running
c shell on all user accounts but are going to have to change this as c shell
does not support a restricted shell environment.  The 2 shells that we are
considering are "rsh (Restricted Borne Shell)" and "rksh (Restricted Korn
Shell)".  My question is this.  Does perl, c, c++, g++, and www-perl
libraries have any restrictions as to what shells they can run on.  If they
will not run on any of these shells please tell me which shells have these
restrictions.

Greg