develooper Front page | perl.riscos | Postings from September 2003

Re: how to set up !Perl

From:
Alex Waugh
Date:
September 15, 2003 03:44
Re: how to set up !Perl
Message ID:
3F65981F.5060504@alexwaugh.com
Ben Kal wrote:
> 2. Perl cannot find the packages that many, many scripts rely on
>    Perl very often reports that it cannot find a certain package in a list
>    of directories in @INC (yes I know what that is for) that in no way
>    corresponds to the directory structure within !Perl. I cannot believe
>    that I am supposed to rearrange all the packages into directories
>      /home/riscos/cross/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/riscos-aof
>      /home/riscos/cross/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0
>      /home/riscos/cross/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/riscos-aof
>      /home/riscos/cross/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
>      /home/riscos/cross/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
>    It is equally hard to believe that I am supposed to edit the start of
>    each and every supplied script to make it change @INC at compile time;
>    apart from that, attempts to do it failed. Is there a way to do it
>    globally?

This is a known problem with my 5.8.0 port, which I do intend to fix but
have not found the time to do so yet.

> Please, can someone enlighten me on how to solve these problems, so that I
> can *conveniently* use RISC OS Perl? I probably need some pretty detailed
> instructions on what files to put where and what startup scripts to tweak.
> And of course, if someone is able and willing to write such instructions,
> publish them on the internet and make RISC OS Ltd add them to their next
> Foundation User cd.

Unless you need a 32bit version or know what you are doing, I suggest
you avoid my port for the time being. I do intend to make it a bit more
user friendly when it is finished.

Alex

--
Alex Waugh                                           alex@alexwaugh.com