Re: How to get started with qpsmtpd?

From:
Hans Salvisberg
Date:
Re: How to get started with qpsmtpd?
Message ID:
20070124014420.12826.qmail@lists.develooper.com
Thank you very much for posting the updated files, Peter!

Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> The other two files (which are now almost trivial) don't concern qpsmtpd
> directly. They are also not completely generic: They expect a certain
> file system layout and also some details of the configuration. So at the
> time I was happy to have them reside only in the RPM for which they were
> written.

Adjusting paths is not a problem, once you know where things should go.
Should your source RPMs be installable on Suse?

>> I don't know whether my reason (because my qmail-smtpd runs that way) is
>> a good one. You can surely tell that I'm new to this, and it's difficult
>> for me to weigh the alternatives.
>
> Running from xinetd is fine for light traffic. It is also nice for test
> sites, because new plugins and configurations will be picked up
> automatically without any need to restart the service. OTOH, the only
> way to stop the service is to edit the xinetd config.

Bits like this one are extremely valuable to a newbie like myself. These
things may be obvious to all of you, but I have to pick them up one by
one, and it feels like the information around qpsmtpd is distributed
very sparsely.

Please put this into the Wiki -- every newcomer has to somehow figure
out how to install and run qpsmtpd on his server, and this is a very
steep learning curve right now.

Hans