Re: How to get started with qpsmtpd?

From:
Hans Salvisberg
Date:
Re: How to get started with qpsmtpd?
Message ID:
20070123152941.26558.qmail@lists.develooper.com
(sorry about the duplicate posts!)

Thank you for your reply, Michael!

Michael Holzt wrote:
>> # ./qpsmtpd-forkserver
>> without the -u parameter (which is supposed to default to smtpd) results in the message:
>> Could not create spool_dir /root/tmp/: Permission denied at lib/Qpsmtpd.pm line 464.
>> Why would it try to create /root/tmp, if it's supposed to run as smtpd?
>
> Because you run it out of "/root" and it is supposed to used ~/tmp if not
> told otherwise. You might want to create a special directory for qpsmtpd,
> e.g. /opt/qpsmtpd and move qpsmtpd to there. If you then create
> /opt/qpsmtpd/tmp and make it owned by the smtpd-user, it should work.

No, I didn't run it out of /root, I ran it from /home/smtpd/qpsmtpd, as
suggested by the various HOWTOs, and with all the proper permissions
set, including /home/smtpd/tmp .

>> Peter J. Holzer wrote that "It's basically the same patch as for 0.28."
>> and I was able to dig that one up somewhere as qpsmtpd-xinetd.tar.gz,
>> which also includes run.xi -- that seems like a step in the right direction,
>> but how do I tell this thing to run on port 25?
>
> I have no knowledge about xinetd, but i guess there is a generic way in
> xinetd to tell it the port. Don't you have any other services in xinetd
> and can lookup how its done there?

Good idea, I'll try that. What throws me off is why Peter would post the
tcpserver-xinetd.patch without the other non-trivial files in
qpsmtpd-xinetd.tar. The patch alone seems pretty useless, and I wonder
whether the other files are also still "basically the same as for 0.28".

>> 4. Well, xinetd seems to be out of favor anyway, and this link
>> http://wiki.qpsmtpd.org/inetd?DokuWiki=9f8ba8fcd90e3c53f6a715c256a51775&do=revisions
>> shows that there used to be an xinetd page in the wiki, but it was moved two
>> weeks ago by jamtur01, and since then it has vanished.
>
> The last revision of the page can be seen here:
> http://wiki.qpsmtpd.org/deploy:inetd?rev=1168341647
>
> It just states, that inetd and xinetd doesn't work.

Thanks. So it's Peter's word against Wiki's word. It also says "If you
have a good reason for using (x)inetd, tell us on the mailing list!" --
I don't know whether my reason (because my qmail-smtpd runs that way) is
a good one. You can surely tell that I'm new to this, and it's difficult
for me to weigh the alternatives.

> Quickstart: Get rid of your current installation, unpack the tarball into
> /opt/qpsmtpd and create the tmp as described above, then run
> qpsmtpd-forkserver from that directory.

Ok, but how do I ensure an orderly start up and shut down, either
manually or when the server boots or shuts down? Guess I'll fiddle some
more with the init.d script...

Hans