Re: How to get started with qpsmtpd?

From:
Michael Holzt
Date:
Re: How to get started with qpsmtpd?
Message ID:
20070123132656.GA23149@fqdn.org
> 1. Does qpsmtpd need to be "compiled" and installed?

No it doesn't. The Makefile is broken, forget about it.

> # ./qpsmtpd-forkserver
> without the -u parameter (which is supposed to default to smtpd) results in the message:
> Could not create spool_dir /root/tmp/: Permission denied at lib/Qpsmtpd.pm line 464.
> Why would it try to create /root/tmp, if it's supposed to run as smtpd?

Because you run it out of "/root" and it is supposed to used ~/tmp if not
told otherwise. You might want to create a special directory for qpsmtpd,
e.g. /opt/qpsmtpd and move qpsmtpd to there. If you then create
/opt/qpsmtpd/tmp and make it owned by the smtpd-user, it should work.

> Peter J. Holzer wrote that "It's basically the same patch as for 0.28."
> and I was able to dig that one up somewhere as qpsmtpd-xinetd.tar.gz,
> which also includes run.xi -- that seems like a step in the right direction,
> but how do I tell this thing to run on port 25?

I have no knowledge about xinetd, but i guess there is a generic way in
xinetd to tell it the port. Don't you have any other services in xinetd
and can lookup how its done there?

> 4. Well, xinetd seems to be out of favor anyway, and this link
> http://wiki.qpsmtpd.org/inetd?DokuWiki=9f8ba8fcd90e3c53f6a715c256a51775&do=revisions
> shows that there used to be an xinetd page in the wiki, but it was moved two
> weeks ago by jamtur01, and since then it has vanished.

The last revision of the page can be seen here:
http://wiki.qpsmtpd.org/deploy:inetd?rev=1168341647

It just states, that inetd and xinetd doesn't work.

> However, in line 18 of http://wiki.qpsmtpd.org/deploy:sysvinit is
>    . /etc/init.d/functions
> I don't have that executable -- what does it do?

I guess this is redhat specific.

> I have so many bits and pieces, and none seem to fit together. Can anyone put me on the
> right track?

Quickstart: Get rid of your current installation, unpack the tarball into
/opt/qpsmtpd and create the tmp as described above, then run
qpsmtpd-forkserver from that directory.

Regards
Michael

--
      It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks