Debian qpsmtpd/qmail launch order

From:
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Date:
January 3, 2007 12:11
Subject:
Debian qpsmtpd/qmail launch order
Message ID:
200701032115.04878.kjetil@kjernsmo.net
Happy new year, everybody!

I'm running a qpsmtpd 0.32-4 on an otherwise Debian Sarge box, and I've
noted a problem, I don't know if this is me, is a problem with the
package version I'm using, or is the desired behaviour. I hope someone
(Devin?) can clarify:

The problem I'm seeing is that the qmail package binds something to port
25 before qpsmtpd gets the chance, so by just installing those, it
hasn't worked for me.

A temporary workaround for me has been to stop qmail, then restart
qpsmtpd and start qmail. Then, qpsmtpd will answer on port 25, and
everything Just Works. A more permanent workaround is to reorder the
rc2.d scripts. Now, it looks like this:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 15 2006-11-21 18:49 S20qmail -> ../init.d/qmail
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 17 2006-11-21 20:12
S20qpsmtpd -> ../init.d/qpsmtpd

which results in qmail being run before qpsmtpd. Perhaps qpsmtpd could
be S19qpsmtpd?

All this feel very workaroundish to me, but this is the situation as far
as I understand it. Advice from people with deeper understanding would
be appreciated.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer