RE: qmail port

From:
Marcus Brim
Date:
RE: qmail port
Message ID:
102AB52E8A6D30449565188AB2D3B22A02B70DE0@cherokee.holmesmoore.local
" IMO, nobody should run qmail's smtp daemon these days."

I run it in the configuration that Charlie's asking about, and it
seems to work well.   Forwards to port 2525 where qmail picks it up.

If there's a better way to run qpsmtpd without qmail, please post -
I'd be interested in trying that one out to see if it's better than what

I've got going!

Marcus

-----Original Message-----
From: Guy Hulbert [mailto:gwhulbert@eol.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 11:41 AM
To: Charlie Brady
Cc: Atik; qpsmtpd@perl.org
Subject: Re: qmail port

On Wed, 2007-03-01 at 11:32 -0500, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Atik wrote:
>
> > how to configure my qmail server (smtp port) to run on 2525 port
instead of
> > 25
> > my OS is Redhat enterprise As4

On Debian the answer is to set the environment variable TCPLOCALPORT to
2525 in the script which starts qmail.  This should work on RedHat too
but I am not sure of the details.  Look for /etc/init.d/qmail

You will need to put this at the top of the script:

	export TCPLOCALPORT=2525

This is documented in the 'tcp-environ' man-page which comes with qmail
but you also have to know that qmail-smptd is run under tcpserver (and I
had to grope a bit after that).

A comment on the original response follows.

--gh

> IMO, nobody should run qmail's smtp daemon these days. However, since
> you've asked on the qpsmtpd list, perhaps you intend to run qpsmtpd.
Good.

Perhaps he wants to run qmail on port 2525 because he will be running
qpsmtpd on port 25.

> > thank you for any tip you can give!

<snip>
> Have you read any qpsmtpd documentation?

This response strikes me as quite rude if you are not going to answer
his question.  I recall mention of port 2525 when I was researching
qpsmtpd.

Let's try goole: running qmail on port 2525

What a surprise, the first four hits are on qpsmtpd articles.  In
particular the text quoted by google from Matt Seargeant's article says:

        Next, convince your current SMTP server (qmail, postfix, exim,
        or whatever you currently use) to run on a port 2525. I'll leave
        that up to you to work out, ...

Probably why he's asking eh ?