develooper Front page | perl.qpsmtpd | Postings from March 2006

Re: dnsbl or spamhaus occassionally blocks wrong IP

From:
Elliot Foster
Date:
March 14, 2006 14:18
Re: dnsbl or spamhaus occassionally blocks wrong IP
Message ID:
441740EA.7050909@gratuitous.net
John Peacock wrote:

> Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> <SNIP>
>

>> 2) Net::DNS assigns a random id when the package is loaded and just
>>    increments the id for each request. This also makes ID guessing easy.
>>    What's worse, with forkserver the package is loaded in the parent
>>    process, so every child goes through the same sequence of IDs!
>>    It doesn't matter in this case, since the ID isn't checked anyway,
>>    but for synchroneous requests it makes a difference.
>

> This is more of a problem, since we are actively urging people to use
> forkserver.  Can we use eval "use Net::DNS" after we fork to prevent
> this from happening?  Can we poke a new ID value manually for each
> fork instance?
>
> John

There is code in trunk to deal with this specific issue, around line 124
of ~/qpsmtpd, where the _fork subroutine is defined.  Perhaps that could
just be pulled over.