Re: BBC testing from upriver downwards

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
Re: BBC testing from upriver downwards
Message ID:
20170405181044.19712.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 04/04/2017 07:24 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On 5 April 2017 at 10:35, James E Keenan <jkeenan@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Module::Runtime was successfully installed all three times -- though that's
>> actually two times, because my first run used an earlier perl 5 blead
>> commit.  Each of the three runs used a different, progressively newer
>> version of 'cpanm'.
>>
>> Task::Weaken did not succeed on my first run (20170330).  It failed here:
>>
>> #####
>> Can't locate inc/Module/Install.pm in @INC (you may need to install the
>> inc::Module::Install module) (@INC contains:
>> /home/jkeenan/testing/blead/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.25.11/x86_64-linux
>> /home/jkeenan/testing/blead/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.25.11
>> /home/jkeenan/testing/blead/lib/perl5/5.25.11/x86_64-linux
>> /home/jkeenan/testing/blead/lib/perl5/5.25.11) at Makefile.PL line 42.
>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 42.
>> -> N/A
>> -> FAIL Configure failed for Task-Weaken-1.04. See
>> /home/jkeenan/.cpanm/work/1490881305.4413/build.log for details.
>> #####
>>
>> However, Task::Weaken succeeded on the second run -- where I was working
>> with a more recent blead and with App-cpanminus v1.7042 -- and was therefore
>> already installed in time for the third run.
>>
>> So, the only thing I can offer is:  Are you working with (a) a recent enough
>> blead to capture all the changes relevant to no-dot; and (b) the very most
>> recent version of cpanm?
>

> What you're telling me is you have set your tools up to hide the bug,
> instead of isolating and reporting the bug.
>
> cpanm hides the bug by setting PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1
>
> This is useful for testing for what end users using the cpan
> toolchains will see, but it is not "The whole problem"

"[T]esting for what end users using the cpan toolchains will see" was
precisely what I was focusing on in this exercise.

I never claimed to have a solution for "The Whole Problem".  It's not
clear whether there is anyone who even understands "The Whole Problem".
Until such a person emerges, we shouldn't be dismissive of people's
attempts to apply partial solutions to partial understandings.  TIMTOWTDI.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan