Re: BBC testing from upriver downwards

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
Re: BBC testing from upriver downwards
Message ID:
20170331014024.17845.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 03/30/2017 05:16 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On 31 March 2017 at 09:36, James E Keenan <jkeenan@pobox.com> wrote:
>> For example, today David Golden prepared a new version of Sub::Uplevel --
>> the #1 distro in the order of battle.  Once he releases that to CPAN, a
>> tremendous number of downstream distros will have their prerequisites
>> satisfied and -- assuming they don't have their own configure/build/test
>> failures -- will become installable via this perl-5.26.0-friendly cpanm.
>

> Neat... but Q) Looking at your list I see a few things that I expected
> to be fixed already.
>
> Are you using a Mini-CPAN Mirror by chance?

No, though I certainly could, since I have a minicpan on the same
machine.  I'd just have to remember that I have it and then keep it
up-to-date.

So what you see is as of earlier today from cpan.  I suspect that one of
the biggest challenges we will face is getting people to do an actual
release as opposed to, say, merging a p.r. to their github master branch.

If I had/have time to do a more sophisticated version of this, I'd
figure out a way to distinguish between those distros that truly sit at
the top of "error trees" -- Sub::Uplevel and Sub::Identify, for instance
-- and those which may have many distros failing underneath them but
where the real failure is above them -- e.g., Devel::OverloadInfo.

jimk