Re: BBC testing from upriver downwards

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
Re: BBC testing from upriver downwards
Message ID:
20170321013235.29054.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 03/17/2017 09:42 PM, Karen Etheridge wrote:
> ​> ​
> 1. Compose a list of CPAN distros starting with those farthest up river,
> i.e., distros that only depend on the perl 5 core.  Within that set of
> distros I'd like to order them from most reverse dependencies to
> fewest.  Then go down river from there.
>
> ​David Golden has a script for generating the CPAN river heirarchy --
> the last run of this that I know of (at least, it's the data I've been
> working off of) is at https://gist.github.com/xdg/af7a32c5b21d45a6b255
> <https://gist.github.com/xdg/af7a32c5b21d45a6b255>. It lists the
> distributions in their position on the CPAN river, and their top 5 users
> (reverse dependencies).  This would be a natural place to start testing,
> and determining which branches of the river have blockages (the first
> instance of a no-dot-in-INC issue).  David, can you generate a fresh copy?​

Karen, thanks for that link.  Actually, just using the first 1000 or so
distros in that gist as is would suffice for now.

We now have a perl-5.25.11 tarball which contains
no-dot-by-default-in-@INC.  So we have a real (dev) release with which
to begin testing CPAN distros.

The next question is:  How can I set up a reporting apparatus such that
when a distro fails I can retain the complete test run/output on disk
for inspection?

I ask this because it's my impression that CPAN::Reporter sends the
report off to Metabase but does not retain it locally.  I could use
CPAN::Visit::Mini::Simple but then I have to wade through immense log files.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan