develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from January 2017

perl5.test-smoke.org feature request: explanation of git-id

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
January 17, 2017 21:48
Subject:
perl5.test-smoke.org feature request: explanation of git-id
Message ID:
20170117214817.2559.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
When you go to http://perl5.test-smoke.org/search, one of the columns
presented is "Git-id".  Its contents look like this:

v5.25.8-269-g01f9673
v5.25.8-196-g3626fc2
v5.25.8-208-g05053e2
v5.25.8-260-g57b3a6b6ec

What these strings mean is not entirely self-evident.  I can infer that
'v5.25.8' means "after we've released perl-5.25.8."  And I understand
that in the final part of the string, everything after the initial 'g'
is a git SHA (commit ID).

But I've never understood what the middle integer is supposed to mean.
Those integers do not appear to be assigned in strictly increasing
numerical order.  It would be nice if there was some explanation on the
page as to what that part and the whole Git-id are supposed to mean.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan