Re: Why does File::Path not respond to 'cover'?

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
Re: Why does File::Path not respond to 'cover'?
Message ID:
20150628131857.24645.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 06/27/2015 01:55 PM, yary wrote:
> I believe that Devel::Cover excludes core modules, so that "your code"
> isn't influenced by modules that are included (perhaps indirectly). Seek
> out a switch/hash/regexp/sub to modify that behavior, there is one
> somewhere!
>
> -y
>
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:08 PM, James E Keenan <jkeen@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Richard Elberger and I recently received co-maintenance bits on the
>> File-Path distribution.  As is my wont, I ran it through Devel::Cover --
>> but was surprised to see that 'cover' reported zero coverage.
>>

>> Does anyone know why File-Path is unresponsive to 'cover'?

Thanks, yary.  Yes, after I posted I recalled that Devel::Cover does
exclude core modules.  IIRC, pjcj had a project called 'p5cover' which
was intended to rectify that, but I don't know that project's current
status.

In any case, on my previous laptop I located some correspondence with
pjcj from two years ago in which I reported having found a hack for this
case:  Create a branch.  In the branch rename 'Path.pm' to something
like 'ABCPath.pm', then do a global search-and-replace in all files
(except things like README, TODO and Changes) to impose the new name.
At that point you can run 'perl Makefile.PL && make', and from that
point Devel::Cover sees a brand new library and calculates coverage.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan