Re: new Stream Test::Simple question, XS requirement

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
Re: new Stream Test::Simple question, XS requirement
Message ID:
20150426122447.17351.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 04/26/2015 12:15 AM, Chad Granum wrote:
> I am not sure it is entirely my decision. If it is entirely my decision
> than this is it:
> Must have a working scalar::util::weaken to use the new Test::Simple. The
> Test-Simple dist itself will not require a c compiler to install, as in no
> xs is included in the dist. A Test-Simple-XS dist may be created if desired
> that will be used by Test-Simple if it is installed, but it will not be a
> requirement. Up to rjbs and p5p as to of the xs components will  be part of
> core.
>
> However I want to know how the rest of perl-qa feels about this first. If
> people are not bothered by using scalar::util then we have no problem. If
> they are bothered by scalar::util being used then we need to look at
> options.
>
> Does anyone have a strong opinion about Test-Simple needing scalar::util?
> On Apr 25, 2015 8:57 PM, "bulk88" <bulk88@hotmail.com> wrote:

As I suggested in an earlier post in this thread, I think this is mainly
a backwards-compatibility issue.

The new Test-Simple, like the old one, will be distributed primarily in
two ways:

* As a stand-alone distribution on CPAN, in which case it should work
with older versions of Perl 5 as far back as possible.

* As part of the Perl 5 core distribution, in which case it only has to
work with the version with which it's distributed.

We've got the second case covered, so we only have to worry about the
former.  If the new Test-Simple is being installed against a Perl that
already has Scalar::Util::weaken -- which is guaranteed by Perl 5.8.5 or
later -- there is no problem.  The version of Test-Simple distributed
with Perl 5.20 was 1.001002 and had a minimum Perl version of 5.006.  So
for all practical purposes, the only production versions of Perl we have
to worry about are those from 5.6.0 to 5.8.4.

IIRC, we had to face problems like this several times in the era before
Scalar-List-Utils became part of the core distro and ... we solved them!
  I wasn't part of p5p at the time, so I don't recall the details, but
I'll bet it's a SMOP and hence no obstacle to Test-Simple's ongoing
development.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan