Re: hackathon web page displays strangely

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
Re: hackathon web page displays strangely
Message ID:
20150321142646.27552.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 03/21/2015 09:45 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:51:42 -0400
> James E Keenan <jkeen@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> http://act.qa-hackathon.org/qa2015/main
>>
>> In Firefox, at least, all the pages on this site are displaying in a
>> strange way.  Each page has a left sidebar with internal links and a
>> right sidebar with sponsors.  But the main content for each page only
>> starts to appear *below* the end of the longer of the two sidebars.
>> Unless and until you scroll down past the sidebars, each page appears
>> void of content.
>
> This appears to happen if and only if the browser's viewport window is too
> narrow. If I make it wide enough, the page displays fine. For what it's worth, I
> can reproduce a similar behaviour in the Google Chromium browser.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Shlomi Fish

True.  I see that in Firefox we now have both "Full Zoom" and "Text
Zoom" settings which can be adjusted up or down independently of each
other.  It is the combined effect of certain settings of each that
causes the text in the viewport to be placed way at the bottom.  I can
adjust that combination to make the text in the viewpane visible at the
top of the page.

But it just so happens that that combination works well (for me) on
other web pages, so when I wanted to go to act.qa-hackathon.org, the
display that immediately came up was what I reported.  So, a less than
satisfactory user experience.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan