develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from February 2015

Re: HTTPS, CPAN, and dist integrity

From:
David Cantrell
Date:
February 4, 2015 11:46
Re: HTTPS, CPAN, and dist integrity
Message ID:
20150204114619.GA18774@bytemark.barnyard.co.uk
On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 11:25:26PM +0100, Michiel Beijen wrote:

> Basically I think the whole CPAN setup with 200+ mirrors sounded great
> back in the 1990s and it is still widely touted as a feature of CPAN.

Having a zillion mirrors is no longer a killer feature - the net is now
much better connected, bandwidth is cheap, and site reliability is much
higher than it used to be. However, the ability to easily create a
mirror is still a nifty feature. It makes it dead easy to:

* have a mirror on my laptop for hacking on the move;
* have a customised module repository where all the normal tools "just
  work"

The latter is really important. It lets companies add their non-public
code to a CPAN mirror-a-like. It lets you "pin" some of your
dependencies to particular versions. It lets you do things like the
cpXXXan.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

" In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's ... programs should be
  indented six feet downward and covered with dirt. "
      --Blair P. Houghton