develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from January 2013

Re: TPF Devel::Cover grant report Weeks 30-32

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
January 3, 2013 03:44
Re: TPF Devel::Cover grant report Weeks 30-32
Message ID:
20130103033842.31433.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 1/2/13 9:36 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> In accordance with the terms of my grant from TPF this is the report for
> weeks 30-32 of my work on improving Devel::Cover.
>
> This report covers 08.12 to 28.12.
>
> Last week I mentioned the pull requests I had received.  I this week I merged
> a pull request from Steffen Schwigon adding some important modules to
> cpancover.com.  I'm always happy to add modules that people would like to see
> on cpancover, so if there's anything you think should be on there, let me
> know.

I looked over these coverage reports and was shocked, shocked at the low
test coverage of many important modules -- including modules which are
part of the Perl 5 core distribution.

I have set myself the goal of improving the test coverage for
Data-Dumper:  https://github.com/jkeenan/Data-Dumper.  In about four
hours of work I've not only improved the coverage substantially; I've
also found two methods where poor coverage led me to read the
documentation and realize that there were discrepancies between the docs
and what the code was actually doing (or not doing).  This will soon
become the subject of an RT ticket.

So, thanks again for making this coverage available, and let me
recommend that you include all packages included with the Perl 5 core.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan