Re: Counting tests

From:
Fergal Daly
Date:
Re: Counting tests
Message ID:
875029960903161123n39413632w209355657b245142@mail.gmail.com
2009/3/15 Adrian Howard <adrianh@quietstars.com>:

> On 14 Mar 2009, at 05:57, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> The test numbering exists to ensure that all your tests run, and in the
>> right
>> order.  XUnit frameworks don't need to know the number of tests because
>> they
>> simply don't have this type of protection. [1]
>
> [snip]
>
> And, to some extent, need it less. Since most xUnit systems have the
> test-result-producer and the test-result-consumer running in the same
> process space - some of the problems that plans help with (like early
> termination) aren't really much of an issue.

Really? I know of at least one automated test runner (by this I mean
it runs all the test files it can find) for pyunit that would say
"everything
is fine" if I through a random sys.exit(0) into my test script.
Without parsing the output, there's not much else to look at but the
exit code and by having the producer and consumer in the same process,
the producer can easily set the exit code against the "will" of the
consumer,