develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from July 2008

Re: Making CPAN ratings easy (was Re: CPAN Ratings and the problemof choice)

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
Re: Making CPAN ratings easy (was Re: CPAN Ratings and the problemof choice)
Message ID:
20080705053811.GD12443@klangraum.plasmasturm.org
* Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing@gmail.com> [2008-07-04 10:25]:
> Assuming that we could obtain download counts (which we can't)

And even if we could obtain them from the entire mirror network,
they would still be worthless. Case in point: I keep my own
minicpan mirror, so the download hits my upstream mirror logs
from me are worthless. Then there’s also the issue of OS vendors
providing packages of Perl modules (Debian, RedHat).

Even if we could get those download stats, they would still be
meaningless, of course (they don’t actually say anything about
how much a module gets used). But that is hypothetical; reality
is that you don’t get even as far as that.

Regards,