develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from July 2008

Re: Making CPAN ratings easy (was Re: CPAN Ratings and the problemof choice)

From:
Rick Fisk
Date:
Re: Making CPAN ratings easy (was Re: CPAN Ratings and the problemof choice)
Message ID:
486D630F.7040801@drivebuytech.com
 People use CPAN to solve a particular problem. They don't go looking to
download packages merely because they exist or are popular so I don't
see a parallel between CPAN and Cnet.

The idea of displaying download rates in my view is not to create a
popularity contest but to give the consumer an idea of how active is a
particular module.

Spiros Denaxas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> # from Rick Fisk
>> # on Tuesday 01 July 2008 00:09:
>>

>>> Number of downloads -
>>>    perhaps this could be compared to various release versions of the
>>> module to keep it pertinent.
>>>
>> You can't count the downloads (we don't have any control over or
>> feedback from the mirrors the way sourceforge does.)
>>

> And again, I am not sure how that would help in any way since in
> general (out of my own experience),
> when you present people with a "top N downloaded" list, those items
> get downloaded like crazy whereas other less popular do not since
> nobody takes the time to fully explore the entire collection. In some
> cases this might be good but I would hypothesize that in the majority
> it would act as a retardant and slow down "progress".
>
> Spiros
>

>> See debian's popcon for an alternative scheme where opt-in clients push
>> installed package+version back to a central point.
>>
>> --Eric
>> --
>> "Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many
>> rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
>> --Ronald Reagan
>>    http://scratchcomputing.com

Rick Fisk
VP Operations