develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from July 2008

Re: great search.cpan.org ideas

From:
Andy Armstrong
Date:
Re: great search.cpan.org ideas
Message ID:
9622865E-D980-4448-9C62-3D7D67CF85CD@hexten.net
On 1 Jul 2008, at 15:57, David Cantrell wrote:
>> That's true - but it discourages people from experimenting with new
>> UI
>> ideas like, say, integrating tagging into s.c.o. It'd be great if
>> people could download WWW::Search::CPAN::Org, install it locally and
>> play with it.
>
> Fair point.  Mind you, I distinctly remember a certain Mr. Armstrong
> having fun with Greasemonkey to mess around with search.cpan.org a few
> months ago ...

Well quite - but (in my head at least) that underlines my point - I
hit a glass ceiling with what I could achieve with JS and then some
other shiny thing caught my attention and... Had I been able to hack
on the source for search.cpan.org I'd have probably done more.

>> I've twice started to work on a replacement just so I can release
>> something that people can actually hack on.
>
> Might be worth taking a look at kobesearch.cpan.org, whose source is
> available here:
>  http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpan-search/

Tuits permitting I shall.