develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from July 2008

Re: great search.cpan.org ideas

From:
Andy Armstrong
Date:
Re: great search.cpan.org ideas
Message ID:
61F1C06E-060D-488E-A0DC-BDAC0F3C7D09@hexten.net
On 1 Jul 2008, at 14:35, David Cantrell wrote:
> Even if you had the source code, it would still be up to him to add
> your
> patch to the copy of the code that runs that particular site.  In
> reality, if people suggest things, and he thinks they're a good idea,
> then he does them.  Especially if it's something as simple as adding a
> link to a page.

That's true - but it discourages people from experimenting with new UI
ideas like, say, integrating tagging into s.c.o. It'd be great if
people could download WWW::Search::CPAN::Org, install it locally and
play with it.

I've twice started to work on a replacement just so I can release
something that people can actually hack on.

There's a real need for CPAN's primary UI to evolve as CPAN grows but
the rate at which it can evolve is limited by the non-availability of
the source.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten