develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from July 2008

Re: Making CPAN ratings easy (was Re: CPAN Ratings and the problem of choice)

From:
Spiros Denaxas
Date:
Re: Making CPAN ratings easy (was Re: CPAN Ratings and the problem of choice)
Message ID:
bba689ec0807010142r3e96bf28o52278ed7f3e1c151@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing@gmail.com> wrote:
> # from Rick Fisk
> # on Tuesday 01 July 2008 00:09:
>
>>Number of downloads -
>>    perhaps this could be compared to various release versions of the
>>module to keep it pertinent.
>
> You can't count the downloads (we don't have any control over or
> feedback from the mirrors the way sourceforge does.)

And again, I am not sure how that would help in any way since in
general (out of my own experience),
when you present people with a "top N downloaded" list, those items
get downloaded like crazy whereas other less popular do not since
nobody takes the time to fully explore the entire collection. In some
cases this might be good but I would hypothesize that in the majority
it would act as a retardant and slow down "progress".

Spiros