Re: The uselessness of arbitrary Metric gaming

From:
Eric Wilhelm
Date:
Re: The uselessness of arbitrary Metric gaming
Message ID:
200806301556.42831.ewilhelm@cpan.org
# from David Cantrell
# on Monday 30 June 2008 15:26:

>We're down to arguing about how to implement
>that check - whether it should be "ooh look, there's a t/pod.t file
>which says 'use Test::Pod'", or whether CPANTS should itself use
>Test::Pod to look for badly-formed POD.

The former implements a check for a symptom of the check, where the
absence of the symptom tells us nothing, and the presence of the
symptom might be a symptom of an actual problem.

>I favour the latter, although I find that having the Evil Cargo-Culted
>t/pod.t in my distributions is rather useful for finding bugs before I
>release my code so I'm gonna continue using it.

If you truly have *the* Evil Cargo-Culted t/pod.t (which has been
previously discussed here and elsewhere), it fails spuriously for some
users.

Besides, Module::CPANTS::Kwalitee::Pod, right?

--Eric
--
But as soon as you hear the Doppler shift dropping in pitch, you know
that they're probably going to miss your house, because if they were on