Re: The Problem with Non-Functional Metrics

From:
chromatic
Date:
Re: The Problem with Non-Functional Metrics
Message ID:
200806301301.05626.chromatic@wgz.org
On Monday 30 June 2008 12:50:09 Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> The kwalitee metrics should be useful data points when selecting between
> multiple modules, which means that the searcher (me) makes the
> decisions about which ones are important.

I don't think that's possible.

Where CPANTS works now is identifying actual, functional problems with
distributions: missing licensing information, not extractable, POD errors,
invalid META.yml, et cetera.

Where CPANTS doesn't work is attempting to bolt on several other
highly-ambiguous metrics in order to turn the ranking into a differentiator
between similar distribution.

At best, you can identify pros of a distribution, such as that OS
distributions have packaged it and other distributions rely on it.

Yet those are not strong differentiators, and they're horribly ambiguous.  At
best, they're data points with which a potential user can say "Hm, I can see
that this is an advantage."

Unlike the functional CPANTS metrics, their lack does not imply a
corresponding disadvantage.

Conflating the two types of metrics leads to problems.

-- c