Re: About tidying up Kwalitee metrics

From:
Gabor Szabo
Date:
Re: About tidying up Kwalitee metrics
Message ID:
d8a74af10806291102s66e83e6al4169971edcab6e37@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 4:49 PM, chromatic <chromatic@wgz.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 29 June 2008 02:28:54 Thomas Klausner wrote:
>
>> For example:
>> http://cpants.perl.org/kwalitee.html#no_cpants_errors
>>   no_cpants_errors
>>     Shortcoming: Some errors occured during CPANTS testing. They might
>>       be caused by bugs in CPANTS or some strange features of this
>>       distribution. See 'cpants' in the dist error view for more info.
>>     Remedy: Please report the error(s) to
>> bug-module-cpants-analyse@rt.cpan.org
>>
>> 'Shortcoming' should be extended to say:
>> "The goal of deducting a kwalitee point for 'no_cpants_errors' is to get
>> authors to report CPANTS bugs. As you might guess, testing 10.000+
>> different dists is hard. There are lot of special cases. It's impossible
>> to figure out all those special cases in advance. 'no_cpants_errors' is
>> a way to outsource the discovery of special cases to module authors."
>>
>> or something like that...
>
> I thought the goal of Kwalitee was to identify good free software, not to
> humiliate thousands of other authors of free software for not anticipating
> and working around your bugs.

I also think the no_cpants_errors has no place in the core metrics nor actually
any metric. It should be only seen by the CPANTS authors....

... but chromatic, while I have not added that specific metric your tone is
offending and humiliating me and maybe also Thomas and possibly others who
invest time to try to make CPAN a better place.

Gabor