Re: [Module::Build] Re: Test::META

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
Re: [Module::Build] Re: Test::META
Message ID:
20050331001632.GC714@windhund.schwern.org
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 05:53:37PM -0500, Randy W. Sims wrote:
> Should we completely open this up so that requires/recommends/conflicts
> can be applied to any action?
>
> install_recommends => ...
> testcover_requires => ...
> etc.

This sounds useful and solves a lot of problems at one sweep.  You can use
the existing dependency architecture to determine what needs what.  Such as
testcover needs both test_requires and testcover_requires.

From the automated build standpoint you'd need an API to simplify all this.
"Just tell me what's required and what's recommended"  "Just tell me what I
need to build, what I need to test and what I need to run"

> Also, this seems like a good time to implement .modulebuildrc (RT
> #8531). Except that I would rather follow the format of the rc files for
> tools like svn and cvs. If the word beginning the line matches the
> action being performed or the global '*', the options following it are
> appended to the current commandline. Perl-style comments. Backslash at
> the end of the line after comments are removed is line continuation.
>
> *        --verbose   # global options
> diff     --flags -u
> install  --install_base /home/randys \
>          --install_path html=/home/randys/html
>
> Objections? Comments?

My only comment is to lose the backslash.  New commands are indicated by
/^\S/