Re: Test::META

From:
Randy W. Sims
Date:
Re: Test::META
Message ID:
4248A205.3090105@thepierianspring.org
Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> Michael G Schwern wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 08:32:59PM -0500, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
>>
>>> Along the lines of converting to Module::Build...it went well until I
>>> started doing tests...things that worked  now break, probably do to
>>> how they're now run...
>>>
>>> t\xsp.............Use of uninitialized value in transliteration
>>> (tr///) at C:/Development/Perl/584/lib/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 99.
>>> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
>>> C:/Development/Perl/584/lib/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 101.
>>> Use of uninitialized value in transliteration (tr///) at
>>> C:/Development/Perl/584/lib/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 99.
>>> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
>>> C:/Development/Perl/584/lib/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 101.
>>>
>>> The path '' is not an absolute path. Please specify an absolute path
>>>
>>> The path '' is not an absolute path. Please specify an absolute path
>>>
>>> The path '' is not an absolute path. Please specify an absolute path
>>

>> That's odd, its not where I'd have expected breakage.  Want to post your
>> MakeMaker and MB versions so we can poke at them?
>>

> I rolled back. I'm have to reconsicrate my Build.PL tomorrow.
> I want to tinker a bit more tomorrow to rule out user stupidity.
>
> My bet is that the shebang -w in my *.t files are kicking in where they
> weren't before; pointing to a difference in how they're invoked between
> the two envorinments.
>
> Along those lines, CTRL-C, CTRL-D, and "Terminate batch job.. Y" never
> got me out of the loop:
>
>  >>The path '' is not an absolute path. Please specify an absolute path
>
> My only recourse was to terminate the CMD window.

I've seen this happen in some situations since moving to perl 5.8.x,
Ctrl-Brk will work. It's not a Module::Build issue, but a perl issue.

However, I'm very eager to see the conditions that caused the above
failure. I'm taking time off work soon, and one of the big things I want
to do (other than relax a little and play with my new Nikon D70) is
improve Module::Build's test coverage and generally shore it up, getting
ready for Ken to release 0.27 and the integration into perl core. So any
problem reports are very valuable. There is a Module::Build list[1] if
you want to bring up any issues, report problems, or just get help
making the conversion.