Re: Test::META

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
Re: Test::META
Message ID:
20050328113548.GA13462@windhund.schwern.org
On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 01:04:45PM +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > Switch to Module::Build anyway.
>
> I would love to.
> But the last time I submitted a M::B-only module I was 'kindly urged'
> to provide a Makefile.PL as well, factually defeating the advantages
> of using M::B.

Ya know, you don't have to do everything everyone says. ;)

> Maintaining both a Build.PL and a Makefile.PL is not fun, except in
> easy cases.

I see the work you did in Template::TT2Site for this.  Its, for the most
part, not necessary.

There is a create_makefile_pl option (see Module::Build::Compat) which
does a fair job of creating a Makefile.PL functionally equivalent to
your Build.PL.  It comes in various flavors from passthrough (where it
writes a Makefile which simply calls Module::Build functions) to a pure
MakeMaker implementation.

Flipping through the Makefile.PLs of your modules they look for the most part
trivial and would be handled fine by create_makefile_pl.