develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from December 2002

Re: Graphically depicting coverage vs. test results

From:
Paul Johnson
Date:
December 16, 2002 15:12
Re: Graphically depicting coverage vs. test results
Message ID:
20021216231236.GE23205@pjcj.net
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 04:49:46PM +0000, Tony Bowden wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 12:16:53AM +0100, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > I also had thoughts along the lines of all tests not being equal.
> > Generally the earlier a test is run, the more important it is.
>
> This isn't necessarily true.
>
> Test::Class, for example, runs tests in alphabetical order ...

Well, yes, I think this is true for most (all?) of Perl's core and CPAN
modules, but a developer is free to impose an order by playing with the
names of the tests, similar to the way things work with rc scripts.

Maybe I should have said that tests for basic functionality should
probably be run before tests for more advanced functionality, as happens
in the perl core.

Fortunately, "basic" comes fairly early in the alphabet :-)

--
Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net