develooper Front page | perl.qa | Postings from August 2000

Re: Bug Tracking

From:
Elaine -HFB- Ashton
Date:
August 2, 2000 18:32
Re: Bug Tracking
Message ID:
20000802191639.A3343@chaos.wustl.edu
Richard Foley [Richard.Foley@m.dasa.de] quoth:
*>
*>I also realise there are a number of people who feel everything should be
*>handled by ActiveState, or some other current favourite.

I don't belive I'm familiar with that particular spin, in fact the
opposite.

It's like being an SA where the system is up 364 days and year and when
the system burps the freaks come out of the woodwork to complain about how
horrible the service it is you provide and how they could find better
elsewhere. It's easier to focus upon and remember the flaws, much like
your mother will remind you at age 40 of the time you flunked gym but
can't remember you getting excellent marks in the rest of your classes.

It's easier to complain as it shoves focus from ones own flaws to someone
elses and without any work. This fulfills the hubris and laziness clause I
believe. And, if there is ever a amazing new replacement, they can
probably expect much of the same treatment.

HoneyBears' 3rd Law:
"Praise and thank, praise and thank, because no matter how small the
effort, it's something to build upon."

*>For my part I'd like to say that I don't want to continue to work on any of
*>this unless a consensus is reached that this would be a good idea.  I'm
*>heartily fed up of taking spurious flak, (valid flak is OK :).
*>It's mega-frustrating to be at the point where it all runs well, and
*>after so much work has gone into it, and has a pile of interested enthusastic
*>administrators/users to have all the effort continually trashed.

I'd like you to continue as I don't think anyone here would either take
the amount of flak you have without throwing a fit or could provide a
suitable replacement without receiving the same amount in return.
Thankless jobs don't have to mean that it's open season, especially on
someone generously willing to give of their time and resources.

Perhaps a list of issues and tasks at hand would be helpful for those who
wish to channel their energy constructively? Did you have a go at RT by
chance?

Hang in there :)

e.