develooper Front page | perl.qa.metrics | Postings from April 2001

[ANNOUNCE] Devel::Cover 0.01

From:
Paul Johnson
Date:
April 9, 2001 14:37
Subject:
[ANNOUNCE] Devel::Cover 0.01
Message ID:
20010409231520.A27707@pjcj.net
I've started writing a code coverage module for Perl.

Yes, another one.

Why?  Well, I felt a different approach was needed to get sufficient
information to report on different coverage criteria.  Hooking into the
debugger can provide information for statement coverage, but little
else.

From the README:

    Code coverage data are collected using a plugable runops subroutine
    which counts how many times each op is executed. These data are then
    mapped back to reality using the B compiler modules.

    At the moment, only statement coverage information is reported. Coverage
    data for other metrics are collected, but not reported. Coverage data
    for some metrics are not yet collected.

    Requirements: Perl 5.6.1 or bleadperl. The ability to compile XS
    extensions.

Those requirements are real - not even 5.6.0 will work.  I don't know
about the 5.6.1 trials.

"Release early, release often", right?  Well this one is early, but it
seems to work reasonably well.  I've run it on my Gedcom module on CPAN.
I haven't fully analysed the results, but the output looks realistic.

Get it from my homepage http://www.pjcj.net.  I'll chuck it on CPAN in a
while, pending any comments which are, of course, very welcome.

--
Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net