develooper Front page | perl.pod2 | Postings from October 2009

Translations, web pages, Padre and Perl Mongers

From:
Gabor Szabo
Date:
October 15, 2009 01:11
Subject:
Translations, web pages, Padre and Perl Mongers
Message ID:
d8a74af10910150110v511e1f83rada3324b5db70307@mail.gmail.com
Hi,

I am very happy to see this effort taking off.
I hope it won't stop here :-)

Enrico, thank you for your persistence
and thanks for all the translators. I think making Perl more
accessible to people who don't know English well enough
is a really good way to attract more people to Perl.

Web pages on http://pod2.perl.org/
=========================

I think it would be great if using the source code of perldoc.perl.org
the existing POD2::* packages would be processed and the relevant
pages under pod2.perl.org were created. Seeing your work being used
is I think a great feeling and encouragement to do more work.

I started doing that with http://www.perldoc.org/ but that was using the old
code-base of perldoc.perl.org and it would be better to cooperate with JJ
and keep one code base that can serve both the English pages and
the translations. Feel free to take the codebase used for http://perldoc.org
to start building the pages on pod2.perl.org or to integrate them to
the new code base.

Regarding Padre, the Perl IDE. http://padre.perlide.org/

My main objective here is to make sure Padre can use and display correctly
the translated versions of the documentations. We already have integration
for the translated versions of perldiag but it would be nice to be able to
show the translated error message itself and the full documentation.

If any of you is interested in looking at what we have now, I'd be happy to
help with that.

Perl Mongers
I have recently started an effort to clean up the list of
inactive perl monger groups ( http://bit.ly/17zwSg ).
Once I am done with that I'll go over all the existing ones
and will probably contact many of them - especially the
non-English groups. I'll be happy to point them at
http://pod2.perl.org/ so they can also get involved.

regards
   Gabor