develooper Front page | perl.pod-people | Postings from October 2020

[feature] Add =image to perl pod #18169

From:
Dmitry Karasik
Date:
October 4, 2020 15:11
Subject:
[feature] Add =image to perl pod #18169
Message ID:
20201004151135.GA71222@nataraj.eu.org
Hello

Thank you all for review, it is clear that some things I wasn't focused at
don't fall in as gracefully as I wanted. So it seems that P<> neither serves
any good as an inline image anchor, nor versatile enough to specity
accompanying text, and will require further additions to pod that would break
backward compatibility.

Having all of that in mind, I reworked the proposal, and here it's next iteration:

1) Full syntax (somewhat YAML-inspired)

=begin image

src: file.png
title: Figure.1
comment:
	This is a multi-line
	comment. Must start end end with newline.
	Prefix spaces are skipped.

resolution: 120
whatever: value

text:
	This is fallback text
	shown where graphics is unavailable
	but the formatter is smart and knows
	the =image tag.

=end image

2) Short syntax that should cover 90% of use-cases

=for image src:file.png

I think that covers it all now. What do you think?

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry Karasik