develooper Front page | perl.pod-people | Postings from May 2019

Re: Which Pod module should be used / subclassed?

From:
haj
Date:
May 10, 2019 12:18
Re: Which Pod module should be used / subclassed?
Message ID:
875zqimrka.fsf@posteo.de
Hi Mark,

you write:

> Somewhere in 2003, I had the same need.  I suggested to get Pod to a
> higher level, but people refused larger changes.  So, I developed my own
> Pod extension, which generates both clean HTML via templates and clean POD.
> It is named 'OODoc' (because it was created before OpenOffice existed :-(

Oh, I am aware of OODoc.  I really like your standardized method of
documenting inheritance in your modules and *guess* this is another
benefit of your toolchain.

But actually, OODoc serves a different need.  Right now, I don't plan to
*rewrite* the Pod of 100 modules: I just want to get the most out of the
*existing* Pod.

> [...]
> However... the fancier things you want to achieve, the more time you have
> to spend on configuring it...  that's the advantage of the traditional
> Pod set-up.  One of the reasons that I think I still am the only user of
> OODoc ;-)

Yeah - that's what I call The Curse Of TIMTOWTDI: It is easier for one
single person to write a wonderful, rich replacement for Pod than for
the community to agree on enhancements to Pod.  "Pod" is just one of the
areas where this has happened in Perl.

> Maybe this helps you shaping your ideas.

It sure does - on a less urgent, but maybe more important scale.  The
topic is: How can we get the Perl community to accept change?  But that
is beyond the scope of this thread :)
--
Cheers,
haj