develooper Front page | perl.php.sandwich.dev | Postings from November 2005

Re: PHP::Interpreter for mere mortals

From:
George Schlossnagle
Date:
November 10, 2005 09:02
Re: PHP::Interpreter for mere mortals
Message ID:
43737D03.90806@omniti.com
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> if I read your above comment right the embeded php and httpd php
> module are
>
>mutually exclusive.  because this is Apache-Test, I'm going to eventually
>need to have
>
>  - a CLI that supports PHP::Interpreter
>  - a libphp5.so loaded into httpd as mod_php5 (PHP::Interpreter support not
>necessary)
>
>so, ideas on how to compile php so that the two can easily exist on the same
>server?  I'm going to need to be explicit about how to do this in the A-T
>docs at some point, but I'll happily patch the PHP::Interpreter README when
>I figure it all out :)

I didn't mean to say that the embed SAPI and mod_php SAPI where fully
mutually exclusive (though I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case).
What is definitely mutually exclusive is building them at the same time
in the same tree.  The build process simply doesn't support that.

Hack the PHP build process?  The PHP build process is awful about
allowing these things to nicely co-exist.  Assuming that they're
compiled with the same options, off the same tree, it may 'just work'.

George