develooper Front page | perl.perlfaq.workers | Postings from January 2018

Re: Proposal: switch perlfaq $VERSION to be date-based

From:
Shlomi Fish
Date:
January 1, 2018 18:08
Re: Proposal: switch perlfaq $VERSION to be date-based
Message ID:
20180101194409.65cca283@telaviv1.shlomifish.org
Hi Karen!

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 13:35:11 -0800
Karen Etheridge <perl@froods.org> wrote:

> Presently, the perlfaq distribution's version looks like a perl-core
> version - e.g. the latest release was perlfaq-5.021011, even though it was
> done just before perl 5.24 went stable.  I think it would be less confusing
> if we switched the version to be based on the release date, much as
> Module::CoreList has done.  (perlfaq is also dual-lifed, just like MCL.)
>
> Thoughts?  We may be doing a perlfaq release soon (e.g. to amend the
> perlfaq7 entry on smartmatch).

I am not a big fan of date-based versions, but I'll be ok with this transition.
Note that we can also use mixed versions - e.g : 6.2018.1.1 .