develooper Front page | perl.perlfaq.workers | Postings from February 2005

Re: perlfaq2: Perl books

From:
_brian_d_foy
Date:
February 3, 2005 08:56
Re: perlfaq2: Perl books
Message ID:
030220051056149623%comdog@panix.com
In article <Pine.LNX.4.61.0502021227590.14843@urth.org>, Dave Rolsky
<autarch@urth.org> wrote:

> >> Maybe we can work out something that automatically creates perlbook
> >> from books.perl.org.

> Ack, XML.  But yes, it'd be possible to dump the DB in some format or
> other.  But do we really want to distribute a list of _all_ the books on
> books.perl.org as part of the core docs?  That just seems like overkill.
> I'd think a hand-picked list of the best books would be more useful.

The hand-picked books isn't a very fair way to do things, which is
why I was getting antsy about the books that made it into perlfaq2.
Popular books, for instance, benefit from a feedback loop.

Maybe we can have a more objective measure, such as the books published
in the last two years (at least) along with the ones that we hand-pick.

Either that, or let's drop the books in perlfaq2 and punt to
books.perl.org, and also drop the perlbook man page.

--
brian d foy, comdog@panix.com