develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from September 2022

Re: BEGIN {} question

From:
ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
Date:
Re: BEGIN {} question
Message ID:
70420d88-f306-e90b-6d65-92092baa4dc6@zoho.com
On 9/1/22 00:45, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
> Work with Raku rather than expect it to be the same as Perl.

Oh I intent too!   I program in Top Down.  Perl 5's
subroutines are a nightmare.  I ADORE Perl 6's subroutines.

> By saying above / below, this indicates a linear view of
> code at the same time.

Please elucidate!

>     Can you show me an example of FIRST and LAST
>
>     There are some in the documentation

https://docs.raku.org/syntax/FIRST

     syntax FIRST

     Documentation for syntax FIRST assembled from
     the following types:  language documentation Phasers

     From Phasers
     (Phasers) Phasers FIRST FIRST

     Runs at loop initialization, before c<ENTER>.

Which brings me back to my on going criticism of
the documentation.  It is a "refresher" for those
that already know what they are doing and do not
need it.

Can you point me to a good beginner's reference?

> Treat the regexes as data for a program. Compile the program once. Run
> the regexes as often as you need.

Please elucidate.  That could save me boat loads
of time.