develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from July 2022

Rakudoc - make the naming consistent

From:
Richard Hainsworth
Date:
July 19, 2022 18:13
Subject:
Rakudoc - make the naming consistent
Message ID:
4c2cd041-5616-76ca-a3a4-b82caccb3e56@gmail.com
With the change from Perl 6 to Raku, there were a number of naming
changes, particularly of file formats, eg pl6 -> raku, pm6 -> rakumod.

One of the changes was `.pod6` to `.rakudoc` for files that are
primarily documentation files.

However, we continue to refer to POD6 (also known as Pod6) as the name
of the markup language for Raku documentation. POD6 comes from Perl's
markup language and comes from Plain Old Documentation, together with
the 6 version.

My recommendation is to rename the markup language as `Rakudoc`. This is
consistent with the file format name.

This is a minor change and will not affect many people at all. It will
not affect the operation of any program constructs.

However, without a consensus, references to the markup language as
Rakudoc instead of POD6 might cause confusion.