develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from June 2022

Re: Dual Buf and Str question

From:
ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
Date:
Re: Dual Buf and Str question
Message ID:
1ac60408-f511-3f7b-f69b-32390b76061e@zoho.com
On 6/9/22 22:54, ToddAndMargo via perl6-users wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I can easily  get away with this in Modula2, but
> how can I do this with Raku?
>
> I wish to create a single variable that can be
> manipulated in two ways:
>
> 1) as a fixed length string (Str)
>
> 2) as a fixed length buffer (Buf)
>
> I can think of ways to do this, but it would
> require separate variable and conversions routines
> back and forth.
>
> Any words of Raku wisdom?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Hi All,

I do believe what I am asking is not possible in
Raku.  In Modula2, it is ridiculously easy to
do. But there is a fly in the ointment.  There
is a possibility of chr(0)'s in the resultant
string.  And in Modula2, as is in C, that is
a string terminator.  So Raku is a much better
choice, as the length of a string is kept in
a hidden structure and not in the the string
itself.  And I am done with Modula2 and use
Raku for a reason.

Anyway, I have been wrapping my mind around
how to do this in Raku.  With some chr's and
ord's, I can accomplish what I need.  And
some string tricks I learned in Perl 5.

When I come up working module for this, I
will get back.  I think you all will find it
very useful.  Ya, I know I am being
a bit cryptic, but all will be revealed.
Eventually.

:-)