develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from July 2021

Re: Why does .new initialize?

From:
Peter Scott
Date:
Re: Why does .new initialize?
Message ID:
395aafc9-8e4e-c21e-09a9-fe00351db3b2@PSDT.com
On 7/19/2021 1:24 AM, Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:
> If .new wouldn't initialize a type to its basic instantiation, what would be the point of .new then?
>
> FWIW, the same goes for:
>
>      dd Int.new;      # 0
>      dd Num.new;      # 0e0
>      dd Complex.new;  # <0+0i>
>      dd Str.new;      # ""
>
> If you want to leave it undefined, don't call .new on it?
>
> *confused*

Only that there's a vocal school of thought in O-O that says new()
should only allocate memory and never put anything in there.  Now I know
that Raku doesn't subscribe to that I have no problem.

Cheers,
Peter