develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from December 2020

FYI - Raku grammar compile speedup with preceding surrounder syntax

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
December 27, 2020 00:20
Subject:
FYI - Raku grammar compile speedup with preceding surrounder syntax
Message ID:
ba9cd7c4-5126-c8bb-f421-95f2cce14636@darrenduncan.net
FYI,

So I don't know the factors determining how fast Raku can compile ("perl6 -c
filename") a grammar, but:

Anecdotally I have just seen that using the surrounder syntax "left ~ right
middle" rather than "left middle right" makes my 16KB MUON-defining grammar
compile in 1 second rather than 6-7 seconds on my 2013 machine.

See
https://github.com/muldis/Muldis_Object_Notation/commit/568713257c474ad393d2dd6777e2147432cf6ec5
for the exact diff in question that led to this speedup.

-- Darren Duncan